When corporate culture goes bad, how bad can it get? What’s wrong with the culture at your workplace? It’s hard to form a clear value judgment on something you live with every day. Let’s see what some experts have to say.
At EXCO 2014, the 9th annual Executive Coaching Conference, Romie Horton of Duke Energy and Rob McDaniel of Superior Energy reported on symptoms of a problematic corporate culture.
Horton and McDaniel observed the following sequence:
- If managers are not proficient at setting expectations:
- Then, expectations are not clearly set for all employees.
- Employees fill the void with what they believe to be the expected/desired behaviors.
- Often, these behaviors are not aligned with desired behaviors.
- Managers are disappointed with performance results.
- Managers hold employees accountable for missed performance.
- Employees are frustrated that they did not know what was expected.